Thursday, June 22, 2006

LESSON 001 GREETINGS

Ok here is a transcript of what is in the first lesson of the jMemorize flash card file available HERE

LESSON 001 GREETINGS

Hello = ni3 hao3
Friend = peng2 you3
Friends = peng2 you3 men
Hello friends. = peng2 you3 men hao3
You = ni3
Good = hao3
Me/I = wo3
How are you? = ni3 hao3 ma
What's your name? = ni3 jiao4 shen2 me ming2 zi
My name is Li Min. = wo3 jiao4 li3 min3
Teacher = lao3 shi1
Hello teacher. = lao3 shi1 hao3
Child = xiao3 hai2 zi
Children = xiao3 hai2 zi men
Hello children. = xiao3 hai2 zi men hao3
Goodbye = zai4 jian4
Goodbye children. = xiao3 hai2 zi men zai4 jian4
Goodbye teacher. = lao3 shi1 zai4 jian4

In the actual flash card file I have included each phrase from both an English to Chinese and a Chinese to English translation. I have found that it is sometimes easy to recognise a Chinese word when you see it, but when it comes to remembering the same word when you need to say something in a conversation it can be much harder.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Not so sure about the xiao3hai2zi for child, though it is probably another minor variation an the theme.

The three common ones I have come across are
xiao3hai2
hai2zi
xiao3peng2you2

I was told xiao3hai2 and hai2zi are mostly interchangeable but hai2zi may be more common when talking about large groups of children? Xiao3peng2you3 (little friend) being a bit more cutesy/friendly/affectionate.

7:41 PM  
Blogger John said...

Yep, it's another variation.

I've been told that they are all about as common as each other.

11:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good new is all these variations are kind of interchangable and guessable.

Not like some of the variations I run across :(

11:47 PM  
Blogger VTahir said...

tell u more:

yao3 wa3 bite me

tzan4 great

hao3 trhi 1 delicious

ren2 lei4 human

shia4 shüe3 le its snowing


when you pick up the phone you say: ouais (read this in French, believe me)

im not sure which phonic system u using. i present these with my own opinion. enjoy

3:16 PM  
Blogger John said...

I am using the PinYin phonetic system. So your examples should be.

yao3 wo3 - bite me

zan4 - great

hao3 chi1 - delicious

ren2 lei4 - human

xia4 xue3 le - its snowing

Hello on the telephone is wei3.

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home