Monday, April 17, 2006

Should I write my own software for learning Mandarin?

I’ve been having some trouble with jMemorize resetting my computer. I’m sure this says more about my computer than the software. Though it has got me thinking that maybe I should write my own software. I don’t think I would bother writing anything as complex as jMemorize, just something that would hold my own flash cards, but not allow customised cards the way jMemorise does.

There are a few specific features I could add that would be very useful as well.

2 Comments:

Blogger CharlesChinese said...

John if your thinking of doing that why don't you check out zdt.sourceforge.net

6:28 PM  
Blogger John said...

Thanks for the link Charles.

I just had a look at ZDT and unfortunately it's not really what I need. ZDT seems to be a system for learning individual characters. I haven't got to that yet, so far I have only been learning pinyin words and phrases. I particularly want to be able to have complete sentences on the flash cards, and I was also thinking about adding audio to each card.

Also for some reason the characters in ZDT all look like little squares in all views except the Annotator view.

P.S. Just had a look at your new blog. Looks good. I'll have to check out your review lessons tomorrow.

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home