Sunday, May 21, 2006

Tone trouble

I have developed a new problem with my tones. I seem to have gotten into the bad habit of talking too fast in Chinese so that my tones run together. In English this is not a problem, but in Chinese if say something like "kangaroo" which in Chinese is "dai\ shu\/", and I say it too fast then it comes out something like "dai\ shu/\/". In other words when one tone ends on a low and the next starts on a high I have developed the bad habit of joining them together by adding a rising tone between them.

So now my speech has slowed down a lot. I have to be careful to pronounce each word or syllable individually one at a time.

2 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

Don't natural tones, as opposed to clasroom, actually do that anyway?

8:12 PM  
Blogger John said...

Not the way I was doing it. I didn't realise what I was doing until a native speaker pointed it out to me, but now it has been pointed out I can see that my tones would have sounded very wrong.

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home