Tuesday, August 15, 2006

A new plan for learning characters.

Previously I said that I planned to learn Chinese characters by first learning the numbers followed by the radicals, then I was going to move onto learning some actual characters. I have again changed my mind and have a new modified plan.

I now think that learning the radicals like that before any characters would make the whole task much harder than is really necessary. I think it would be much easier to just jump in learn characters and pick up the radicals along the way.

So Here is my new Plan. I am going to learn all the characters for all the pinyin in my first flash card file. I will do this by first making a list of all the characters (not a small task), then I will organize them into smaller groups by radical and learn each radical group one at a time.

So far I have translated the pinyin from the first 2 lessons into characters.

5 Comments:

Blogger VTahir said...

have you started to learn to write?

加油!!!

8:40 PM  
Blogger John said...

Not yet. But I guess it would be a good idea to learn to write at the same time as I learn to read. The characters will probably stick better that way.

6:30 PM  
Blogger D.A. said...

John,

You'll definitely have your work cut out for you. Personally, if you were to learn the radicals first, you will learn much more. It will be slow at first but your knowledge will be very comprehensive. Your flashcard idea should work out just fine too, but I wanted to give my two cents worth.

I like your site. Keep adding more posts and I will continue to be a return visitor.

4:31 AM  
Blogger D.A. said...

John,

Almost forgot a link to my site. Here ya go.

http://terracottabloggers.blogspot.com.

4:34 AM  
Blogger John said...

I'm glad you like the site d.a. I have been buisy with other things the last couple of weeks so haven't been posting as much as I usually do. I will get back to normal very soon.

I had a quick look at your site. Looks interesting though the Chinese parts are still beyond me at the moment. Anyway I've added your blog to my RSS news reader.

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home