Thursday, February 01, 2007

Chinese speaking politician

I have noticed in the past that the leader of the opposition Kevin Rudd was a bit more knowledgeable on Chinese matters than the average politician. But even so I was a bit surprised to learn he can speak Mandarin.

From the SBS TV website,
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And with Chinese New Year approaching, He's been pressed into showing off his strengths in the Mandarin department.

KEVIN RUDD: Chinese New Year's coming around, so... (speaks in Mandarin). Which is "Happy New Year" but "may the 10,000 things go your way."

Every politician's New Year's wish. Karen Middleton, World News Australia.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The "speaks in Mandarin" bit was actually,

新年快樂 萬事如意 (xin1 nian2 kuai4 le4, wan4 shi4 ru2 yi4)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I learn Mandarin in Beijing. It's been five months now that I'm learning this beautiful language. It's true that Chinese is hard but learning it won't be that hard if you have the right learning tools and resources. As far as I'm concerned, I use this useful Chinese English dictionary and when I'm stuck, I just post my questions to this Chinese learning forum. I also learn Chinese writing online. I hope these learning Chinese tools would help you learn Chinese quickly and smartly. Thank you ;-)

7:57 AM  
Blogger GoodToBeWithYou said...

for another 陆克文 (or 陸克文 lu4ke4wen2?) mando-text:

专访澳大利亚工党外交部长陆克文 

Kan Kin Mun has kindly translated the speech if you want to compare your efforts

Sincerely, GoodToBeWithYou

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home