Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Reading signs

When I was in Taiwan a few months back I mentioned in this post that being there would be much easier if I was able to read a few of the signs around the place. So with this in mind I started to photograph some signs that I thought it would be useful to understand. Here is the first one as mentioned in the above post.



The first part 聖堡羅 sheng4 bao3 luo2 is obviously the name of the restaurant, and 牛排 niu2 pai2 as the sign says means steak. Sometimes you will also see 牛排館 nui2 pai2 guan3 meaning Steakhouse. This is the same 館 as in fan4 guan3 飯館 "Restaurant".

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Good one - and very useful. I recently saw an advertisement for some bank on a web site I that had two large hanzi on it. The jist of the ad was that this bank knew local customs worldwide, and could deal with misunderstandings.

I recognized both characters - one of them from the recent chinesepod lesson based on a Peter Sellers sketch. It was 狗肉: Dog Meat.

Is this just idle stereotyping, or is the really something one is likely to encounter on a chinese menu?

11:10 PM  
Blogger John said...

From what I've been told, some people in Taiwan did eat dog up until about 30 years ago. However around that time they started to throw people into jail for animal cruelty.

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home