Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Banchiao

I've got my new computer keyboard which I hope will be a help when it comes to learning to type Chinese characters. I bought it in an electrical shop here in Banchiao. I think I've said this before but electrical goods which I would have expected to be cheaper in Taiwan of all places all seem to be exactly the same price as back home. Food, clothing etc is all much cheaper, but not electrical goods. Also clothing is of a much better quality here than back in Australia. Australia is now overrun with Chinese clothing imports and to be honest it is all low quality rubbish sold for far more than it is worth.

For the first time yesterday I ventured out of Banchiao to have a look at another market in Taipei. I took the new Metro underground rail and found it is much easier to get around Taipei now. All the trains and buses now have both Chinese and English place names and the ticket machines are also labeled in English. Also once on a train all announcements are made in Mandarin, English, Taiwanese and Hakka. I have also noticed that all new signs have Banchiao spelt with a B which I think is the correct Pinyin spelling, previously it was always written as Panchiao with a P as can still be seen on older sign's like the Panchiao Night Markets.

I think that next time I come here it would be great to be able to read some of the signs. It would be good to be able to know which sign said Tea House and which sign said Restaurant. So I thought I would photograph a few signs to learn. So far I have a Steak House sign and a Hotel sign.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi people
I do not know what to give for Christmas of the to friends, advise something ....

11:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The correct spelling in Hanyu Pinyin is "Banqiao." The "Panchiao" spelling is bastardized Wade-Giles. The city now has a lot of signs that say, "Bravo Banciao," giving the Tongyong Pinyin spelling. But since Banqiao has moved from a DPP to a KMT administration, as has Taipei County as a whole, the days of Tongyong Pinyin in Banqiao are numbered.

1:53 PM  
Blogger John said...

That explains it. I wish they would hurry up and standardise, it can get a bit confusing.

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home